Thursday, August 7, 2014

My Friend Craig

Oh yes, what would I do without Craigslist? Seriously, since we started this process, I've been on Craigslist nearly every day searching for everything and anything... From tools to tile, from drywall to light fixtures. And if you know what you're looking for (and willing to research the value of it before you buy) you can find some great stuff! 

One of the items I started digging for early on was glass mosaic tile for the backsplash in the kitchen. There were certainly patterns that I really loved, but many of them either I couldn't afford on such a tight budget, or just wouldn't work in a craftsman-style kitchen. My only absolute requisite was that I wanted glass. 

Then I found this Ukranian gal who had ordered way to much for her home remodel, and was selling off the extra. It was the right color, and the photo online showed square mosaic tile (really bad photos online, so I wanted to check them out in person). So we went to take a look... And yes, she had some square tile, but she also had the same color tile in the mini subway brick tile! Then the magic words "if you want a lot, I'll give it to you for a good price." A whopping $2.50 per sf. I was giddy!!! 

The other tile that I'd been looking at had been between $5 and $25/sf... So absolutely, I bought all she had... 106sf, brand new in box. Far more than I could possibly need for the backsplash, but better to have plenty than not enough. 



Had to put up a few and see how they will look! Still wrapped in plastic. :) Can't put them in till we get the upper cabinets finished. I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment